Friday, January 25, 2013

Word Games

The title of this blog post should be Confessions of a Word Game Addict.  To begin my tale, I received an iPad for Christmas.  A few months before that, in September, I received my first smartphone.  An Android.  Yes, I know. I'm joining the technological community a little late.  Better late than never, right?

Well, I'm having a great time learning all the things a smartphone can do for me.  YouTube has been my best friend as I learn tips and hints from some techies.  I'm having fun finding apps for my iPad and my Android.  Of course, with 3 kids in the house, it's not really 'my' iPad.  I share a lot.  So on my iPad, two of our kids have added a few game apps that they like.  Fortunately, our older daughter has an iPod, so she has no need for my iPad.  

One of my greatest discoveries has been word games.  I love them!  One of my favorites is called Scramble with Friends.  I tell my husband that it's like a brain exercise that I need to do every day.   Our kids have their word games that they like to play, also.  We have found that SpellingCity has an app.  So they can either play the word games on the computer,  or they can play them on the iPad app.  Ironically, their favorite is Word Unscramble.   It's challenging for my daughter to figure out the order of the letters to make a word. I like it for her because it helps her with her spelling. I choose a set of vocabulary words, enter them into the program, and then she plays word unscramble.  As the program gives her the word with the letters all scrambled, she unscrambles them.  It's not as easy as it seems.  I've sat down with her a few times and was surprised at how even a 5 letter word can take me some time to figure out. This week she's been working on compound words.  So I added those to her different word games that she likes to play.  If they're going to play games on the computer, we try to keep them educational.  They enjoy them, and they're learning. 

No comments: