Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Eclectic Homeschooling - Another Word for I Can't Decide?

When I first heard the term Eclectic homeschooling I thought it was a fancy way of saying I can't decide what curriculum to adopt but after more research it appears to be the best of all worlds. According to Time4Learning, they define eclectic homeschooling this way:

"Eclectic homeschooling is often an end result of trying a variety of other homeschooling styles. “Eclectic” does not mean “erratic” or “unorganized.” Families who take an eclectic approach have specific educational goals for their children, and they make deliberate choices about the resources that they use.



Eclectic homeschooling is an efficient way to teach a number of children who have different interests, abilities, ages, and learning styles. If you have more than one child, it is possible that their varying needs may not be met with a single curriculum."

This means that eclectic is really a collection of methods or approaches that are carefully selected and assembled to address the unique learning style of each child. That seems to me to be a lot of work, but the best way to choose a homeschool curriculum. I've even heard the term "relaxed homeschooling" applied to eclectic homeschoolers but that seems the furthest from the reality. I think I would be more relaxed if I picked one approach and used that one for all of my kids. Oh, isn't that what we do in the school systems? Is that relaxed or just lazy? You be the judge.

Digg!

del.icio.us

No comments: