Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Computers, Schooling, One laptop per child,

I have read for awhile about how cheap computers can help third world students jump into the modern world. The idea is that $100 networked computers can be provided to poor children in the 3rd world giving them an opportunity to educate themselves.

I am very concerned about the huge percentage of children who grow up in poverty with poor education (remember, I started my career as a Peace Corps Volunteer in West Africa).

I think technology is the salvation of education.

So, this morning, I participated in the: "One learning child. One connected child. One laptop at a time. Give one, Get One" program.

And I quote from the webiste about the XO Laptop:
One learning child. One connected child. One laptop at a time.
The mission of One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) is to empower the children of developing countries to learn by providing one connected laptop to every school-age child. In order to accomplish our goal, we need people who believe in what we’re doing and want to help make education for the world’s children a priority, not a privilege. Between November 12 and November 26, OLPC is offering a Give One Get One program in the United States and Canada. During this time, you can donate the revolutionary XO laptop to a child in a developing nation, and also receive one for the child in your life in recognition of your contribution.


I spent $438 to contribute one and to get one. I'm interested to test it to see what it feels like and how it runs sites such as Time4Learning.com, Learning Games for Kids, SpellingCity.com and Vocabulary.co.il.

No comments: